In honor of Memorial Day in the US, all of these questions relate to American artists.
1. List your three favorite American artists, with songs by each.
1) Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Don't Come Around Here No More, Refugee, You Got Lucky, The Waiting, and Breakdown are some of my favorite tunes by this band.
2) Chicago - Color My World, Baby What A Big Surprise, Beginnings, 25 Or 6 To 4, Saturday In The Park, and You're The Inspiration are some of this band's many hits.
3) Guns 'N Roses - Sweet Child Of Mine, Paradise City, November Rain, Welcome To The Jungle and an excellent cover of Paul McCartney's Live And Let Die are just a few tunes by these American metal men.
2. List three songs with the word America or American in them.
1) An American Girl - Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers 2) American Pie - Don McLean 3) Living In America - James Brown
3. List three influential American songwriters.
1) Bob Dylan - I'm not fond of his singing, but he's one hell of a songwriter. 2) Neil Diamond - A very prolific songwriter whose tunes have been sung by many different artists. 3) Barry Manilow - Don't f-ing laugh! McDonalds hasn't had a good commercial jingle since he quit writing them.
~ note ~ This meme was a real eye opener for me. As I thought about my favorite artists I discovered that the vast majority of them are NOT Americans.
"The murals in restaurants are on par with the food in museums." ~ Peter DeVries ~
1. Do you enjoy eating out and why? I love to eat out for many reasons, but I suppose that it is mostly because although I enjoy trying new and unusual foods, I positively loathe the thought of cooking them myself (not to mention the ensuing clean-up).
2. What is your favorite restaurant? I don't think that I have a single favorite resaurant. How could I possibly compare a restaurant that serves Italian cuisine to one that serves Aisian or seafood? My mood, my companions, and the amount of cash in my wallet all to some degree effect my choice of what the best restaurant of the day is.
3. What are your standards for tipping? Since the IRS assumes that a server gets 8% of their sales in tips and taxes accordingly, I always leave at least that much even if the service is terrible. For decent service I try to stick close to the reccommended 15%. I also must confess that a good looking male server is apt to get a very large tip from me.
4. Do you have one entree, appetizer or dessert that you specifically go out to get at a restaurant from time to time? Wheeling Island's Island Buffet. Two words...
5. Describe a horrific experience that you had while dining out. In 1968 my family was dining in the Bonanza restaurant in Erie, PA when it caught fire! All of the diners had to be evacuated. It was a rather large blaze that made that evenings local news. Said newscast featured photos that my brother had taken with his newly purchased Polaroid Swinger camera (Remember those?). His fifteen minutes of fame, a nightmare for six year old me...
Saturday, May 28, 2005
Bargain Find Of The Week
While browsing the clearance racks in Kaufmann's at Washington Crown Center, Andrea spotted this treasure for me. This cosmetic bag/tiny purse was originally priced at $15. After clearance discounts and an additional coupon I bought it for a whole $1.68! It is a definite must have for the rabid Scorpions fan who also just happens to be a Scorpio!
Yep, that's me (except for the part about avoiding conflict)! How do they do?!
Wednesday, May 25, 2005
Happy Birthday, Klaus!
Yes, it is birthday number fifty-seven for one of my favorite manwhores, Klaus Meine! In honor of this special occasion, I posted a list of ten reasons to love him over on Wenches, but that just didn't seem to be enough. Klaus is oh - so - lovable! This is why I have decided to list ten more reasons here...
10. 'Cause he loves you. Really! Click here if you don't believe it.
A G-string is looking for a pilot White flesh is coming down the stairs again Your look just makes me a believer Stray cats are landing in a rain storm Crashed down lost in Wango Tango Land Spaced out your body gives me fever
You sex it Relax it Reload it You want it freshly squeezed
Closed down the road of all restrictions Mad dogs are tearing down the roof again Sweet noise is pouring from the speakers Last dance I'm drowning in the moonlight Exit is the door that I can't find Black out it can't get any deeper
You sex it Relax it Reload it And never hold it You slash it Refresh it Reload it You want it fresh
Got no diamond rings But a song to sing Just to make you fly Beggar or a king
8. The faces that he makes when he's singing
7. He plays a really mean air guitar
6. He also plays a mean tamborine!
5. He's got sexy hands...
(I'm one SICK puppy, I know.)
4. He can count to very high numbers... in English!
"When we played in the Moscow Peacefest back in '89 and we went on stage and we were singing 'Still Loving You' and 100,000 Russians were singing along with a German band, I think that was the moment of inspiration for this song we're gonna play for you now. Even though the wind is blowing us right in the face many times, I think you know there's hope, hope that someday we'll all stop killing each other and someday we'll all live in peace together on this planet. Here's Wind Of Change..."
3. He's always being upstaged by Matthias, and he hasn't killed him...
2. If you don't love him, he might fly away...
But the #1 reason to love Klaus Meine is still...
His mighty fine ass!
OK, so that's only nine more reasons, unless you count both cheeks!
In honor of it being Victoria Day Weekend in Canada, it's all about the Brits.
1. Name your three favorite British bands and a song by each of them.
1) The Moody Blues - The Story In Your Eyes If you don't believe that Justin Hayward is a guitar god, give this song a listen. You'll change your mind.
2)The Beatles - Let It Be I just love George Harrison's Guitar riffs on this song. It's a shame they muted them a bit on certain versions of the song...
3) Def Leppard - All Night Joe Elliot gets all orgasmic on this song. You gotta love it!
2. Name your three favorite British front men.
Define the term "front men", please! Do you mean lead vocalists? Lots of bands divide this task among several members...
These guys are my favorite British "singers in rock and roll bands."
1) John Lodge
2) George Harrison
3) Joe Elliot
3. Name three bands from the original British Invasion in the late 50's early 60's.
1) The Beatles 2) The Rolling Stones
Two very obvious choices...
3) Herman's Hermits
And one not so obvious.
Bonus question: Lyrically speaking, here's the song:
"Sunset doesn't last all evening, a mind can blow those clouds away" George Harrison's All Things Must Pass, the first line of the second verse...
Monday, May 23, 2005
The following all begin with 'In your lifetime, have you....'
1. ...ridden on a rollercoaster? Lots of times! This one is my favorite...
The Thunderbolt at Kennywood Park in West Mifflin, PA.
2. ...performed (in any area of the arts) onstage? This frustrated actress/musician has performed on stage many times. Alas, that was long ago...
3. ...planted a garden? Yeah, but it died...
4. ...ever had to reformat your hard drive due to a virus/spyware? Hasn't everybody?
5. ...written a book? A poem? A song? Yes to all but the book.
6. ...sang karaoke? No, I can think of better ways to make a fool of myself!
7. ...been interviewed by a local tv station/newspaper? Yes, when a certain neighbor of ours was implicated in a murder, I was interviewed by a reporter from channel 11 news. My interview never aired though...
8. ...witnessed a tornado/earthquake/hurricane first-hand? Thank the dear Lord, no! And I hope that I never do!
9. ...participated in a photo scavenger hunt? Yes, the December 2004 26 Things. Click here to see it.
10. ...traveled to another country? Several, in fact. Spain, Morrocco, and of course, Canada
Ten songs that sum up your weekend...or were on your weekend playlist...and one picture that relates back. (Oh, and if you feel like it, tell us why you picked the songs you did)
1. The Saga Begins - Weird Al Yankovic 2. Rock You Like A Hurricane - The Scorpions 3. I Can't Explain - The Scorpions 4. Still Loving You - The Scorpions 5. Big City Nights - The Scorpions 6. Love Drive - The Scorpions 7. Holiday - The Scorpions 8. Blackout - The Scorpions 9. Rhythm Of Love - The Scorpions 10. No One Like You - The Scorpions
As for why I selected these songs... The first song is on the list because I went to see Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith. Songs 2 - 10 are the first nine tracks on The Scorpions Best Of Rockers And Ballads, which I finally was able to purchase this weekend. Yay! My collection is nearly complete! Does anyone out there want to sell me a copy of Crazy World.....?
And now for the picture...
Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker
Excuse me while I go off to commune with the dark side of the force...
Sunday, May 22, 2005
Often Google searchers will arrive at this page in search of downloads of the music that I've mentioned. Many times, one has been available in the past but is no longer active. If the download link does not appear on my index page, this will be the case. The links remain active for only seven days, the same amount of time that a post appears here before being archived.
If you arrive here at an archive page, fear not! Just leave me a comment or tag with the title and artist of the song that you seek and I'll post a new link ASAP!
The following link is for an unknown searcher from Germany who has been here several times looking for The Scorpions' To Be No. 1...
"Perhaps I am a bear, or some hibernating animal underneath, for the instinct to be half asleep all winter is so strong in me." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh ~
1. Do you live in a place where it snows often? Describe your typical winter and how often it snows/ices/sleets. The winters are nasty here in southwestern PA! A picture is worth a thousand words...
2. Have you ever been snow skiing? No, I've heard too many horror stories. Being the klutz that I am, the idea of snow skiing just doesn't appeal to me.
3. What is your favorite part of winter? The end of it!!!
4. If you had the choice, would you move somewhere where there was a hard winter? Only if I had one of these to keep me warm...
And I ain't referring to the fishie scarf!
5. What is your favorite winter activity or sport? Ummmm.... This!
It's a great indoor activity on a cold winter's day...
Saturday, May 21, 2005
Farewell To A Friend
I was saddened to learn that this sweet little ball of fluff who had been featured in my December 2004 26 Things died yesterday of cancer. Fortunately she did not suffer very long. She first showed signs of illness on Wednesday. I will miss her very much. Seldom did a day go by these last seven years that she wasn't waiting for me (and her treat) in the yard of her Victory Hill home.
But no matter how much I miss her, it will not be as much as her owner does. Xena was companion to an elderly lady who told me of her beloved pet's death today with tears in her eyes. She said that she was much to old to get another dog. I didn't know what to say. I hope that she changes her mind as her grief ebbs. No one is ever too old for a canine companion in my opinion, but for now I think I may just have a print made of this picture and frame it for her...
No surprise that this one received the number one position! It's so good that I own several copies...
2. Dead Ahead - Wild Horses
This album is difficult to find, but definitely worth getting, and I'm not just saying that because James Kottak is the drummer!
3. December - The Moody Blues It's a Christmas album and I actually like it. That's quite an accomplishment for the Moody Men.
4. Moment Of Glory - The Scorpions & The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra How could anyone not love an album by a metal band accompanied by a symphony orchestra?! It is such a unique combination of sound.
5. Bad For Good - The Scorpions Yeah, it is a hits compilation, but it also includes several new songs (such as the title track) that make it well worth the purchase price.
So, there you have it. Was anyone really surprised by my choices?